Companies and people are increasingly using web scraping to obtain structured data from the internet. Product information, text, photos, customer reviews, and pricing comparisons are all examples of scrapable data sets. Companies scrape data to stay competitive in their sector, therefore having a good data extraction tool has become an important element of doing business and keeping customers.
This article will show you how to:- Web Scraper Tools
- What is website scraping, and how does it work?
- Why is web data scraping so important?
- When selecting web scraping tools, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- The best web scraping software
What is website scraping, and how does it work?
Web scraping is the process of collecting structured data sets from the internet in an automated manner. Scraping the web is often referred to as web data extraction or data extraction. Companies use web scraping tools to maintain tabs on the competitors in key business categories such as:
- research into the market
- generation of leads
- Price monitoring and price intelligence
- monitoring of the news
It’s important to remember, however, that web scraping only refers to the legal gathering of publicly available material that is freely available on the internet. It does not apply to individuals or corporations selling personal information. Companies that use web scraping as a business tool usually do so to help them make better judgments. Web scraping can retrieve massive amounts of data in a single operation that would take hours or days if done manually.
Why is web data scraping so important?
For a variety of reasons, businesses and individuals may need to automate data extraction. The following are just a handful of the primary reasons why scraping webpages has become so important in order to stay competitive:
- Time: The time saved by web scraping in obtaining such large data sets allows any organization to boost productivity by allowing that time to be employed for other duties. Companies’ learning curves for aligning themselves with market trends are shortened as a result of this data collection and analysis.
- Price wars: Web data extraction allows any company to get real-time pricing information from competitors. E-commerce businesses can then update their social media pages with promotions or discounts to keep their clients interested.
- Trend tracking: Knowing what customers want and are already buying is crucial whether you’re starting a business or expanding an existing one. Scraping data allows businesses to keep track of trends and stay ahead of the competition when it comes to customer preferences.
- Artificial intelligence (AI) is a fast evolving and changing field. The ability to harvest data for machine learning will remain a critical component of every successful business.
- Web scraping software allows for a considerably greater level of accuracy in acquiring useful data than would be achievable if the same search were undertaken by human people. With increased precision comes the opportunity to adapt company webpages, social media, and goods to improve consumer satisfaction and commercial success.
When selecting web scraping tools, there are a few things to keep in mind
Data scraping tools are available in a variety of styles and strengths. Import.io, for example, focuses on data at scale, whereas Scrapy focuses on the collaborative aspect. The greatest web scraping solutions are interactive and user-friendly, and they cater to each user’s specific data extraction demands.
However, there are a few crucial aspects to consider before deciding which extraction tool is appropriate for your company.
Simple to use
While most extraction programmes come with instructions to help you get started, not everyone wants to do the same scraping chores or even uses the same browser. Some users might choose a scraping tool that works with Windows, while others would prefer a web crawler that works with Mac OS. Any web crawler’s user interface should make the user feel comfortable and confident in using the programme without having to spend a lot of time learning it.
Many people choose to select a web scraping service based on price. Some programmes even provide free, limited-featured options. Paid services usually include more features for monitoring and controlling the data extraction process. Paid plans also enable for a far higher level of data extraction and a considerably larger volume of data extraction than free web scrapers. Many online scraping programmes offer free trial periods so that consumers may see for themselves if the technology is suitable for their needs.
Supported data formats
The majority of web crawling use one of a few common data formats. Comma-separated values (CSV) is the most used of these data formats (CSV). The best web scraping solutions for your organisation should be able to manage CSV files, as this benefit is widely acknowledged among frequent users of Microsoft Excel.
Performance and quickness
A good online scraping tool should be able to build up an API with any website and across as many proxies as possible. Your extractor should ideally come as a browser plugin and support rotating proxies. Similarly, using an open-source web crawler offers for more customization and flexibility in scraping activities.
It’s usually a good idea to choose a web scraping tool with solid customer service assistance, regardless of the type of web scraping tool you choose. The basic fee for many of the top online scraping solutions includes 24/7 customer care.
The best web scraping software
It can be difficult to know where to start when there are so many online scraper software available. Every web crawler tool, as well as every user and use case idea, is unique. The following is a list of ten of the greatest online scraping tools for your company to use.
1. Useful Information (Luminati Networks)
Bright Data delivers fully compliant and risk-free access to substantial data with its customisable interface and flexibility to structure data sets of any size. Bright Data web scrapers have the following features to cater to every type of customer or use case:
- Extension for the Proxy API Browser
- Unblocker for data
- Crawler for search engines
- Management of proxy (no code and open source)
The cost of Bright Data plans varies depending on the solution chosen—for example, Proxy Infrastructure or Data Collector—but most plans can be customized with sub-features.
Scrapingdog was created to make web scraping simple for both developers and non-developers. It gives HTML data from any website in a single API call. Scrapingdog can handle browsers, proxies, and CAPTCHAs with ease, and it also includes a LinkedIn API. Other useful features of the Scrapingdog online application include:
- Headless Chrome
- IP rotation
Scrapingdog’s monthly rates range from $20 for the Lite service to $200 for the Pro plan. Custom plans are, however, possible by contacting Scrapingdog.
3. API Aves
AvesAPI is a very concentrated extraction of structured data from Google Search aimed especially towards agencies and developers. AvesAPI is ideally suited for SEO because it works through a distributed system that can easily extract millions of keywords. This tool may also be beneficial to marketing experts.
The following features are available to AvesAPI users:
- Results that are geo-targeted
- Data on shopping products that has been parsed
- Top 100 outcomes from all over the world
AvesAPI’s premium services start at $50 for 25,000 searches and go up to $3,500 for 1 million searches, with a free trial available.
ParseHub, which is available as a downloaded app, is not only popular but also free. It’s also one of the more versatile web scrapers on the market today, allowing for the capture of both JSON and CSV files. Users of ParseHub can access data that is password-protected and even scrape data from maps and tables. It’s aimed at almost everyone who enjoys messing around with data.
Here are some other advantages of using ParseHub:
- REST API with infinite scroll
- Data collection can be scheduled.
- Cloud-based storage that is automated
- Regular expressions and IP rotation
The free plan from ParseHub allows you to create up to five public projects that take 40 minutes and cover 200 pages of data. However, many of ParseHub’s biggest features aren’t available with the free plan. ParseHub’s paid plans start at $149 per month.
Diffbot comes with a completely hosted software as a service (SaaS) and visual processing for non-English web scraping, as well as an useful “Analyze API” tool for automatically recognising pages. Diffbot is also noted for its clean text and HTML output, as well as its highly targeted structured searches. The Diffbot web scraping programme also has the following features:
- CSV or JSON data formatting APIs for photos, videos, debates, products, and articles
- Customized crawling controls
The 14-day free trial offered by Diffbot allows potential customers to get a feel for the programme before committing to a subscription plan. Plans start at $299 per month and are designed to meet the needs of developers and tech organisations who require extensive web scraping capabilities.
If you’re a non-developer looking for a simple, easy-to-use web scraping tool that doesn’t involve any coding, Octoparse might be the tool for you. Octoparse users can take advantage of the following functionalities, in addition to desirable features like IP rotation and cloud storage services:
- Scraping can be scheduled at any time.
- Scrolling indefinitely
- Data is available in Excel, API, and CSV forms.
- Octoparse provides a free plan with limited functionality. Plan prices start at $75 per month.
ScrapingBee also has the following features:
- Hacking your business’s growth
- Pages of search engine results (SERPs) Proxy rotation scraping
- ScrapingBee is one of the most economical online scraping tools on the market today, with subscription plans
- starting at just $49 per month.
Scrape.do distinguishes out among competitors because it is a scalable online scraping tool that does not charge extra costs for difficult-to-scrape sites like Google, making it suitable for just about anyone. Scrape.do also has a gateway speed four times faster than its closest competition, and can capture anonymized data from sites like Instagram in three seconds or less. The Scrape.do utility also has the following features:
- Geotargeting for a number of different nations
- Customers are only charged if the extractions are successful.
- With any subscription, there are no bandwidth restrictions.
- Scrape.do plans start at $29 per month, while the pro plan is $99 per month and includes 1.25 million
- successful API requests.
9. Scraper API
Here are a few additional advantages of Scraper API:
- Fast speeds and high reliability
- CAPTCHAs, proxies, and browsers are all managed.
- Rotation of geolocated proxy
- Scraper API offers a free trial of its services with 5,000 free API calls, with options starting at $29 a month for
- 10 concurrent threads and 250,000 API calls.
- In five minutes, you can have it up and running.
- Concurrent API queries and CAPTCHA solutions are handled.
- There is a near-perfect uptime rate.
- Scrapestack users are entitled to 100 free queries per month. A basic subscription for 200,000 requests costs
- $19.99 per month for higher-traffic needs.
Which should you choose?
Assessing your ability level with programmes like Python, as well as the types of scraping chores you have at hand, will help you choose the appropriate extraction tool for your purposes.
Web developers, programmers, and data scientists may need a more powerful tool than a small corporation striving to maintain a competitive advantage. If you’re looking to hire web scrapers, look no further than Upwork’s worldwide labor pool. Upwork also makes it simple and reliable for job searchers to find web scraping jobs.